Thursday, February 26, 2009

Burning Down the House

OK-it is that time of year when we Christians have an opportunity to spring clean our souls. Last night our priest shared a Buddhist parable about a monk's house burning down and the monk's response was, "Great! Now I have a better view of the sunrise."

This story has stuck with me all day as I ponder what is standing in the way of my view right now? Unfortunately my view-blocker is not a simple, two-story home, but more of a New York skyscraper.

Here I am again, standing at Lent's open door ready to walk in with great intentions. Yet I am fully aware that if I'm lucky to live to next Lent, many of my future obstructions will be the exact same as this year's. How can I be so sure? Experience.

In can be tough to remain optimistic in the face of such grim history. It is daunting to attempt to burn down the entire structure. Perhaps if I focus on one room-hmmmm there are lots to choose from--pride, control, approval,... I will be that much closer to the sunrise next year. Besides, if I accurately remember that Lenten/Easter story, I'm not doing this alone

No comments:

Post a Comment