Friday, January 22, 2010

Gifts of the Spirit

“Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit,

and there are varieties of services, but the same Lord;” 1 Corinthians 12:4-5


Miss Raz must have sensed my confusion when she sidled up next to me at the table littered with sign up sheets. Or, perhaps she waited there skillfully culling volunteers. “Hey Kid. Why don’t you join me on the altar guild?” Clueless as to what this meant, but vain enough to do anything for anyone who called me “Kid,” I scribbled my name on the sheet.


That first Saturday morning I joined the other women who patiently explained to me every detail that goes into preparing the altar for service. Ms. Raz confidently directed her troops. Martha remained close to me, easing my anxiety with her humor. When I forgot the proper name of an item she smiled and whispered, “Or you can call it the ‘holy napkin.’” Candles were re-filled with oil and gently wiped down. Before they could be placed on the altar, candelabras were presented to Ms. Raz who made sure they were lined up, eyeing them with drill sergeant-like precision. Patti and Phyllis arranged flowers with conscientious care, and what deceptively seemed effortless ease.


After our tasks were complete, Ms. Raz brought me to the back of the nave and we admired the group’s work. She noticed that candles on the altar were a bit out of alignment and went up to fix them, calling back to me, making sure all was in place. I admired the artistry and love that had transformed the sanctuary.


The next morning when we arrived for church, I had a new appreciation for all of the work that goes into creating sacred space for our worship service. From the procession of the choir, through the readings, Bob’s sermon, and the guitar music during the Eucharist, I was aware of all the previously unappreciated gifts that had been poured out into the creation of a meaningful service. The faithful care of so many to prepare the space for our hearts to open to God.


When Lewis’ beautiful additions to the altar appeared a few weeks later, I marveled at his self-less offering in spite of physical pain. Perhaps this well-choreographed effort is what Paul meant when he wrote, “All these are activated by one and the same Spirit, who allots to each one individually just as the Spirit chooses.”


Prayer

Loving Creator, thank you for the gifts of the Spirit. May I appreciate the gifts in others and generously share the gifts you have given me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment