Friday, January 29, 2010

Thank You Joe!

After a visit with their grandparents, Brendan and Kiki told me that Grandpa Joe and Grandma Bonnie were hoping I would visit sometime. I had not seen them since divorcing their son eight years ago. Their invitation, a testimony to the power of love and forgiveness over enmity and pride.

A year ago Joe was diagnosed with cancer. He has undergone treatments, is doing pretty well, but one of the tumors is inoperable. Time is of the essence for all of us, but there is nothing like the cruel clarity of a terminal diagnosis to remind us of our limited supply of moments.

This week I chose to take Bonnie and Joe up on their offer to visit. They greeted me warmly, graciously. We caught up on family, health, laughed about old times. It was an easy and relaxed visit.

When it was time to say "good bye" Joe stood up from his chair and gestured for me to come to him. We stood facing one another. Faces inches apart, we looked into each other's moist eyes with intimacy traditionally reserved for lovers...simply, silently, holding one another. The moment, especially dear since we knew this may be our last together.

Joe placed his hands on my cheeks; I noticed how crystal-like his blue eyes were, filled with liquid love. He pressed his palms more firmly against my face as if he was imploring me to listen, really listen, and spoke with urgency.

"Mary, God gives us all gifts. You have some beautiful gifts. Gifts the world desperately needs. Don't hold back anymore. Do you hear me? No holding back. Go out and share those gifts. Don't play small; just spread your gifts out in the world. No holding back. It's time to share what God has given you. Do you hear me?"

Tears streaming down both of our cheeks, I nodded a silent vow; a wordless promise to heed his call. We embraced, expressed our love, and Bonnie walked me to the car. Driving past the room where Joe was sitting, I stopped and waved a furious, cheerful goodbye.

Seems like I have been waiting a long time for someone to lay hands on my head and invite me to profess my vows. I had a picture of what that would look like...in a church, Bishop, family gathered, the whole shebang. But you know what? Perhaps it has already happened in that sun-soaked family room.

There is a stark contrast in Joe's urgency for me to "FLY! FLY" and the institutional drone to "WAIT! WAIT!" Thank you Joe and God bless you! You are so right, we ALL have gifts to share. What good does it do to withhold them? Is there a part of you that has been holding back, afraid to share what you have to offer? Let's fly while we still can!

No comments:

Post a Comment