Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Day 2: Pour Your Heart Into It


Sitting cross-legged in front of her attentive audience, Maya Tiwari introduced us to Ayurveda, a holistic healing system believed to be over 7,000 years old. Mother Maya, as she is called, has an easy, yet authoritative manner. One moment her arms would be floating as she led us in a transformative chant, the next she would be scolding us about our American consumerism and waste. What struck me was her passion. The sheer force of life she embodied--whether sitting intently listening to a question, or dramatically sharing a story, we were swept up in her momentum.

Fascinated by this system for living, I bought her book, Ayurveda: A Life of Balance and learned about the Ayurvedic belief that the intention (heart) the cook brings to the preparation of the meal impacts the experience for both the cook and those who eat the meal. Although my interest in Ayurveda was short-lived, Mother Maya's teachings have frequently come to mind over the past 15 years.

Soon after hearing Mother Maya, we were living in Tokyo when one of our American neighbors gave birth to her third child. I offered to cook pasta shells for the family on the night that mother and baby returned home. Remembering the Ayurvedic teaching, I poured my whole heart into preparation of the meal. Dipping my spoon into ricotta cheese, I reached deep within to send blessings for the mother as well as the baby, who would be nourished by this meal through his mother's milk. Stirring spinach, mozzarella, and ricotta together I held the older sister and brother in my heart. Hoping they would receive him with joy and remember they too are loved. Finally, spooning pasta sauce over shells, I thought of the father, that he would have the strength to support his family emotionally as well as financially during this major life transition. My movements slowed. Filled with unexpected love for casual acquaintances, I felt so alive. Bending over the oven, placing the glass pan in the oven, an unexpected "Amen" fell from my lips. The mundane had become holy.

Consider something that you will be doing today, maybe something ordinary like cooking, or extraordinary like climbing a mountain, and choose to pour your whole heart into that experience. Perhaps you will approach it with passion like Mother Maya. Or you might choose to take the time to send blessings as you accomplish a routine task. If you like, share your experience with the rest of us. Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment