Thursday, August 27, 2009

Day 3: Wonder and Awe


Daisy charged ahead on our long, gravel driveway. Realizing we were not stopping at the mailbox, but going for the treasured W-A-L-K, she burst into a head-waggling, booty-shaking circle dance, punctuated by a leap in the air. To withhold a smile witnessing such joy is surely a sin.

This morning the sky offered more questions than answers. To our right, waves of sea-foam clouds floated peacefully. Directly overhead, an ominous sheet of gray. And not far off to the left, the promise of clear, blue bliss.

How do those beauty berries transform overnight from green-leafy bush to pregnant, purple feasts for the eye? I remember the first time I saw a beauty berry...on an escape from the world weekend with my friend, Elinor. Amazing how this plant in the middle-of-nowhere, Alabama is one of my reminders of precious moments with a dear friend far away.

Dark clouds rumbling, Daisy and I took our chances and carried on. I was almost hoping for drops of rain to arouse my skin. Today, like every day, God is creating something new. Will I have the eyes to see it?

While on sabbatical, Sr. Mary McGehee served up a few guidelines for my time off--kind of like a recipe for renewal. One of those bits of wisdom was to, "Take time each day to live in wonder and awe of God's creation." May you find that opportunity today.

Many of us have more concrete than creatures in our midst. If that is the case for you, maybe you can be inspired by my neighbors in Tokyo. In that busy, noisy city were exquisite gardens on minuscule parcels of land. Busy "salary men" on the way to the train station would take a moment or two to stop and notice the blossoming cherry tree. The desire to commune with nature was greater than the obstacles of urban living. Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment