Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Don't Fight It

"I love your new hair!" My friend exclaimed. "It is as if your face isn't fighting for attention with your hair anymore." I thought that was such a funny line...face and hair vying for attention. But then I told her, "I just got tired of the time and money involved with dying it. I figured, chop it all off and let's see what is really underneath. I have been fighting my natural color for over 20 years!"

I love this new "do." I don't know if I look any better or worse, but I do know that it is fabulous not to waste any time or gobs of money on coloring. And in the past, I have LOVED coloring! It is so short now, that when I go swimming...it is shake your head simple.

For years I was afraid to reveal the true head of hair underneath the decades of processed chemicals...kinda like the anxiety we can feel when we consider exposing the essence of who we truly are.

The expectations we have for ourselves, and others have for us, layer upon us like processed personhood...until one day, we can't remember what we really look like; who we really are.

In fact, similar to when those grey roots start to peak out, we can be quick to cover up our true nature...what if it isn't pretty? What if others don't like "her?" And without even realizing it, we have been fighting ourselves for years, maybe even decades.

How many self-inflicted battles have I borne because of "self" denial? It can be so easy for me to support others to "listen to that still small voice," but when mine comes up with some unconventional wisdom, I question it greatly.

I admire my wise friends who have dropped the struggle with themselves long ago. I yearn to be like them...revealing their roots (and I'm not talking hair here), exposing their hopes and dreams, living into the presence of this moment, rather than wondering how they will be perceived...unguarded, vulnerable, loving. These men and women who have put down their arms are truly inspirational. Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment