Thursday, April 1, 2010

Serving the Music

A few days ago I saw an interview with Celine Dion that struck a chord. She was talking about how when she was younger she used to work hard trying to "make music."

Then she described how her perspective has changed over the years. "I don't know if everybody realizes how powerful music can be. I think it breaks every barrier," she said. "I think God has given me something to work with, a voice, and I'm just trying to serve the lyrics and the music to get messages through."

A powerful, subtle, humble shift.

"Making music" implies willful, self-creation; "Serving music," the open-hearted gesture of co-creating.

When she described the experience of making music, her body and verbal language expressed a sense of "hard work." As she contemplated the idea of serving music, her face softened, even her breathing seemed to slow down. She actually said that it is much easier now.

How often do we find ourselves trying to make something happen...forcing, willful, self-determined MAKING? How would our stance change if we were open, yielding, receiving, humbly SERVING with our gifts?

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment