Thursday, September 3, 2009

Day 10: Beloved Child of God


Yesterday I wrote about the wisdom that comes from paying attention to our emotions. One of the "stories" my sadness was telling me was that I was not enough. When we buy into the "not enough" mindset, peace is forever at bay. Our homes are not beautiful enough, our work is not good enough, our experiences not exciting enough. We are forever trying to feed an insatiable hunger...forging on in the conquest of unattainable goals, missing the opportunity to celebrate the gifts in the moment before us.

A few years ago I stopped work early on a Friday afternoon, pulled out the easel and paints, cranked up some classical music and immersed myself in the sensual dance between canvas and brush. I had no plan for what I wanted to paint...tans and browns and greens formed a hillside...yellows and reds adorned the flowers...various shades of blue stroked the sky. And then a woman in a flowing robe appeared. Her long locks streaked with gray, she confidently strode the hillside. A dove surrounded by golden light lingered above her and off to the side in bold letters, "YOU ARE MY BELOVED."

Standing back from the canvas, a wave of warmth enveloped me. I sat down on the red couch in the sunroom, closed my eyes, and breathed in words passed on to us through the centuries, "YOU ARE MY BELOVED. YOU ARE MY BELOVED. YOU ARE MY BELOVED WITH YOU I AM WELL PLEASED."


Allow yourself 15-20 minutes of quiet.
Slowly read the following passage 3 times, listening with the "ear of the heart." Sit in silence after each reading. If you like, the first time you can pay attention for a word or phrase that jumps out at you. The second time, simply meditate/contemplate what this passage may be offering you. After the third reading, sit and silence and allow a prayer to move through you. Finally, sit in silence and offer thanksgiving. Namaste

"...the Holy Spirit descended upon him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased." (NRSV Luke 3:22)



No comments:

Post a Comment