Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Day 22: Doin' The Hummin'bird


There is a new kid on the block. In the past six years, Malcolm and I have never been visited by this greenish/yellowish bird with black and white wings. Early one morning I spied him, of all places on the hummingbird feeder. Grabbing my book, I walked onto the deck for my morning reading and coffee. This startled the new kid and he flew away.

Taking his hummingbird interpretation one step further, he mimicked their flight pattern--perching high on a tree to the left, zooming close to the feeder, and then landing high on a tree to the right. Unlike the hummingbirds, he wouldn't land on the feeder when I was around. Also, he sang a long, loud repetitive song. Well, really it sounded more like, "get out of here I was enjoying the sugar buzz." Curious, I cruised through the bird book trying to identify him, deciding he was probably some kind of vireo. He has returned to visit every day since and has charmed Malcolm as well.

The hummingbirds are not nearly as entertained by the new kid as Malcolm and I are. They buzz him and seem hesitant to land when he is on their feeder. Hummingbirds are fascinating in their own right. Often we will take our seats in the stadium (OK, the Adirondack chairs on the deck) and watch their games. Small bodies zipping past at top speed, wings flapping at a million beats per second...finally, one will land on the feeder, only to be dive bombed by another hummingbird or two. Entangled in their mid-air battle, another small bird will light on the feeder and then foes become comrades as they band together to bully the newcomer off of the feeder. We never tire of these games. In fact we mourn the hummingbirds when they leave in October and anticipate their return in April.

Now there are six perches and holes on this feeder. If they wanted to, our little friends could ALL sit peacefully and sip their nectar. Heck they could hang out and tell bee jokes or something. Imagine the energy they would save NOT fighting and dive bombing and playing protector of the perch!

I can't understand why the new kid wants to pretend he's something he's not, but I bet he isn't the only one doin' the hummin'bird dance. I think a lot of us do it.

Sometimes I wonder if God isn't like Malcolm and me watching the show and wondering, Why do they operate from such fear? I have provided them with everything...there is no need to worry, no need to fight...simply drink from the cup of life.

How much energy would we save if we opened our eyes to the abundance that surrounds us? How much more generous would we be if we weren't worried that someone else was going to get our "share?"

Is there a place in your life where you have been buzzing around in fearful flight? If so, what would it look like if you stopped flapping your wings and simply perched, drank, and gave thanks? Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment