Friday, September 11, 2009

Day 18: All God's Creatures

Lazily crunching on cereal and berries, half-heartedly reading the news, I was snapped out of my daze by a loud "THWAP" against the window. Sadly, I knew this sound too well--a bird had flown into the window.

We are literally in the treetops. Birds adorn our deck and the surrounding trees like ornaments. Frequently, we are entertained by their shenanigans at the feeder or the rare visit by an indigo bunting or a rose-breasted grosbeak.

The beauty we enjoy from living in this home is a hazard to the birds we love. Usually they maneuver around the house without trouble. Occasionally a bird will fly into the window, fortunately most of them fly away, seemingly unharmed.

After hearing the ominous sound at breakfast, I jumped up to see if the bird was OK. Lying on its back, legs flailing, a small cardinal appeared to be seriously hurt. It was excruciating to watch the struggle, yet I wanted to stand witness in some way...just in case this sweet creature was dying. Drizzling rain a cruel insult to the already suffering bird. I prayed...does that sound silly? I sent love...felt sadness for my part in this situation.

I have learned not to go on the deck when a bird is hurt, my presence only creates stress. So I continued my vigil through the window. His legs stopped moving, breathing slowed down. Was the cardinal dying or relaxing and recovering? Hoping it was the latter, I stood watch a little longer. After a while, I cleared my dishes and sadly tended to a couple of morning chores.

Dubiously, I walked back to the window to check on the bird. He had righted himself! Dazed and scruffy from his frightful encounter, he was perched on the deck. I kneeled down to a vantage point where I could see him, but was hidden from his view. Relief, gratitude, silent prayers converged into a mixture of emotion that seemed disproportionate given the short encounter with my new-found friend.

Encouraged that he was on the road to recovery, I climbed the stairs to my office. A short time later I decided to check on his condition again. In a magnanimous display of forgiveness, he waited for me to behold his recuperation flight. At first he flew tentatively to the railing, cocked his head one way...then the other, flapped his wings for good measure, and ascended boisterously into the world of the trees! My heart soared with him.

How often I take these tiny creatures for granted. Yet they grant such joy...with their songs, ornate plumage, and fanciful flight. How empty our world would be without the creatures with whom we share this planet.

I encourage you to take some time to go outside and SEE, ENJOY, SAVOR the birds, bugs, animals in your world. What lessons do they have for you? If it feels comfortable, take a moment to send them blessings and offer thanksgiving. Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment