Saturday, September 19, 2009

Day 26: Feel the Rain on Your Face

All I wanted to do was stay in bed...we had arrived in Clemson at midnight last night. We are in Tigertown for the football game against Boston College. I love college football. Sitting with Malcolm on one side and Brendan on the other--fabulous...having your team win..even better.

But this morning, I didn't care about cheering in the stands, listening to the bands. I only wanted to S-L-E-E-P! I even toyed with asking Malcolm if he and Brendan wanted to go without me and sell my ticket. Watching the game on the couch with Malcolm's "adopted" parents, Ina and Harry seemed like a great plan.

Thankfully, inertia did not get the better of me. Not wanting to disappoint the boys, I stuck with the plan.

For the first half of the game, grey skies and a light breeze provided unusually comfortable weather for mid-day game in September. After half-time, low clouds dropped their drizzle, prompting the appearance of 70,000 orange ponchos. At first, I was disappointed; who wants to sit in the rain--soaking wet? But then I started to enjoy the feeling of wet drops falling on my face, my legs, anywhere the poncho didn't cover. Awakened by the wet, my skin felt so alive.

Twice the game was delayed because of the lightening...each time for at least 30 minutes. We debated leaving both times and decided we had come this far, so rarely made it to a Clemson game, we would stick it out until the end. If I wasn't with such die-hard fans, I probably would've opted for that comfy couch.

We ran into friends from North Carolina during the second rain delay. Their 81-year old mother was there with them, outlasting fans more than half her age. I was inspired by her "spunk." And not for the first time when encountering an indomitable octogenarian I wondered which came first...the attitude/spirit or the great health.

How often do we protect ourselves from the environment because of...too much humidity...too much sun...too much rain...too much snow...too much cold? If we want to, we can create a reason not be out in the elements nearly every day.

Drenched, wet clothes clinging to me, feet squishing in my impractical leather shoes. I was surprisingly thrilled to be out in the rain. Something about being immersed in Mother Nature's weather du jour stirred the "earth momma" in me. I felt grateful.

The steamy shower back at the house felt pretty wonderful too!

Too often I change plans without fully considering what I might be giving up in veering off course. It is tough to tell the difference between flexibility and "bailing." Today, I am glad that for whatever reason I stayed the course.

I encourage you to reach beyond an initial resistance to "bail"and follow through. If you find yourself running down the road of coming up with reasons NOT to do something...because of energy, or weather, or money, or whatever, give yourself a moment to truly consider, "What would be most life-giving?" Is there a place in your life right now where you aren't "showing up?"

"Unwritten," is a great song by Natasha Beddingfield, you might want to crank up the stereo and jam. My favorite line is "Feel the rain on your face, no one else can feel it for you." May you be soaked! Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment