Friday, September 18, 2009

Day 25: Shake Your Groove Thing


"Something is different, what have you been doing?" I asked. It wasn't just that my friend seemed more fit...there was a greater sense of joy about her. "Turbo Jam! They are these great exercise videos that combine dancing, kickboxing, sculpting. I just love it!" She replied.

Tired of my same old workout routine, I decided to give it a whirl. This summer, Kiki would pop one of the dvd's in now and then. I mentioned to her that there was something about these videos that were different. We agreed that we found ourselves smiling throughout most of the workout.

The next time I "Jammed," I decided to figure out what was going on. As you would expect, the instructor, Chalene Johnson is perky and encouraging. She also exudes a genuine passion for what she is doing and a sincere desire to motivate. But that is not the most important factor in what makes Kiki and me smile, and creates this sense of joy in my friend.

It is DANCING. Periodically, Chalene will change up the routine and encourage the viewer to "bust a move." I like to do this video when NO ONE is watching and flail my mid-life body around the great room like a teenager on the prom dance floor. Yesterday, during one of the dance routines I circled the entire room with some inexplicable step "waving my hands in the air like I just didn't care." Knowing this same room would be a womb for wonderful women the next day on retreat...I danced with the intention for joy and laughter during their time here.

Most of us have few opportunities to dance...lots of us are self-conscious about our abilities. For over 20 years a group of amateurs have been taking tap lessons in Birmingham. Practices begin each fall and culminate in a wild, bawdy show in April. The house sells out every year! We are meant to dance.

When Malcolm and I would come to the lake house during those early, kid-free weekends we would put on some Harry Connick, Jr. or Nora Jones and hold each other close...the beat of the music, our heartbeats moving through us. Hmmm--we might need to break out those favorites again now that those kids have gone and started their own lives.

Whether it is on your own, in a class, with your love...SHAKE YOUR GROOVE THING! Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment