Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Day 16: An Attitude of Gratitude


Remember when you were growing up and your mother told you to, "Count your blessings?" Well it turns out mom knew what she was talking about.

A study done at Hofstra University documented benefits experienced by students who kept a gratitude journal for two weeks. These students were:
  • more satisfied with their lives
  • demonstrated greater satisfaction with their school experience
  • less likely to report physical aches and pains.
Dr. Froh, the lead researcher, noted that other studies have shown grateful people are more likely to exercise, sleep better, and experience some cardiac benefits. If you would like to listen to a podcast with Dr. Froh click here.

The reality is, most of us know that thankfulness is good. It's just that when we feel frustrated and are focusing on what we DON'T have, we lose sight of the many good things in our lives. Yet like brushing our teeth and washing our faces, this "attitude of gratitude" can become a habit.

Once when I was leading a retreat I asked if anyone had kept a gratitude journal. One woman said that she had. "What was your experience?" I asked. "Each night I would bring my journal to bed and write down ten things for which I was grateful." We all listened attentively to this gentle, beautiful woman. "I didn't want to repeat what I had written already, so over time it required greater and greater awareness. One night I wrote, 'I am grateful for the way my sheets feel soft against my skin.'"

We were thunderstruck. We all had soft sheets each night. What set this woman apart from the rest of us was her acknowledgement of the gift.

Take a piece of paper and write down at least ten things that you are grateful for. If you like, continue this practice for a week...go deeply in developing this attitude of gratitude. I am grateful for YOU. Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment