Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Day 8: Asking Forgiveness


The email began, "I think I owe you an apology." What followed were simple words of regret. The infraction was minor, but had hurt none-the-less. Upon reading her words my belly softened. I didn't even realize I was carrying tightness there, or how much I had been ruminating about the brief encounter which precipitated the email.

It took humility and courage to reach out and apologize. I was grateful to be the recipient of this kindness. Accepting her apology, I felt lighter-unencumbered. Our friendship will be stronger; her example lives on in me as a reminder to be equally humble and courageous.

I invite you to close your eyes and take a few very deep, cleansing breaths. Ask yourself, is there someone I have hurt? Sit in silence with this for a few moments-no need for judgment or chastisement... no need for self-defense...just BE with the experience for a few moments. Bring compassion to yourself and to the other...notice your connection through your human frailties. From the depth of the silence consider, how do I want to respond? Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment